Victoria Sandwich Sponge Cake Recipe
Suitable for 2 x 18cm (2 x 7in) round cake pan
- 110g (4oz) self raising flour
- 110g (4oz) butter or margarine
- 110g (4oz) caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- For best results ensure that all refrigerated ingredients are allowed to come up to room temperature prior to use.
- Heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4
- Line your 2 x 18cm (2 x 7in) round cake pan with baking parchment if preferred or grease well with vegetable oil.
- Using the creaming method beat together the butter and the sugar until the mixture looks pale.
- Beat in the eggs a little at a time ensuring the mixture does not curdle (if it begins curdling add a small amount of flour).
- Sift the flour into the mixture and fold in using a large metal spoon. The mixture should be of a dropping consistency.
- Equally divide the mixture between the prepared cake tins and gently spread out with a spatula.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes on the middle shelf until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to stand for 5 minutes before turning on to cooling rack and leave to cool completely.
- Sandwich the cakes together with jam and buttercream for a traditional finish.