The Perfect Shape Cookie Recipe
This is a tried and tested recipe that we use when baking demonstration cookies and cookies for our website. It is by far the best recipe for retaining the gorgeous, intricate cut shapes that our cookie cutters make.
The quantities below will create enough cookie dough to make around 50 10cm cookies.
- 650g Plain Flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 240g Butter
- 250g Caster Sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract or chosen flavouring
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Set your oven to 180C Gas Mark 4. It is important that your oven is at temperature before the cookies are place in.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix well. Mix dry ingredients and add a little at a time to butter mixture. It is important to take time to incorporate the flour well. There is a high ratio of flour to butter in this recipe, therefore the butter takes time to absorb the flour properly. The mixture is complete when the dough comes together and there are no crumbs.
- Chill large quantities of dough for 1 to 2 hours. Alternatively to speed up this process simply roll into flat slabs in between parchment paper on your non stick baking tray. Keep the dough covered with the parchment paper and chill for 30 minutes whilst you prepare the remaining dough in the same way and clear up.
- When your oven has reached temperature roll to desired thickness 1cm is generally a good guide and cut into desired shapes with your Cookie Cutter. Place on a good quality non stick baking tray and bake for about 10 minutes or until the edges of your cookies begin to turn brown. Leave to cool on a cooling rack and decorate as desired.