Maderia Cake Recipe
- Suitable for a 15.5 cm (6 inch) Square or a 17.5cm (7 inch) round
- 250g Plain all purpose Flour
- 185g Superfine Caster Sugar
- 185g Soft Margarine/Butter
- 3 Medium sized eggs
- 30ml Milk or Orange or Lemon Juice
- 5ml Baking Powder
- In a bowl place the flour, baking powder, margarine, sugar, eggs and milk (or orange/lemon juice). Stir the ingredients together with a wooden spoon, when combined beat for around 3 minutes until the mixture becomes smooth and glossy. If using a mixer simply mix for minute only.
- Add any required flavouring and mix in well.
- Place mixture into your well prepared tin, smooth the top and then give the tin a sharp tap to help to settle the mixture and to remove any air pockets.
- Cook in the centre of a pre-heated oven 160 C 325 F or Gas 3 for 90 - 120 minutes.
- Once cooked use a palette knife to loosen the edges and turn out on to a cooling rack, leave to cool completely.