BEST FRIENDS FOREVER CAKE RECIPE
No, not Paris Hilton or Lindsay Lohan. Chocolate and Coffee. Two of the best indulgences ever. World renowned and, indeed, worshipped. Now, whilst many people claim to have the ‘best’ chocolate cake recipe, those that exclude coffee are already pipped at the post. The chocolate-coffee combination is truly wonderfully rich and joyful – a match made in heaven. With that, I give you the recipe for an old friendship…
- ½ cup (125ml) good-quality cocoa powder, sifted
- ¾ (187ml) cup strong dark coffee (espresso is best)
- 2 tsp (10ml) vanilla extract
- ½ cup (125ml) cold water
- 2½ cups (375g) SR flour
- 1½ tsp (7.5ml) bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of salt
- 185g unsalted butter, softened
- 1½ cups (330g) caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 180g good-quality dark chocolate, melted and cooled
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (325°F). Grease a 23cm springform cake pan – probably best to line it with greaseproof paper too (don’t want to leave any of this cake behind in the pan).
- Put the cocoa powder, coffee, vanilla and water in a bowl. Whisk until smooth, then set aside. Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt, then set aside. Using an electric mixer if possible, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the melted chocolate. Now add the dry ingredients and the cocoa mixture alternately. Blend well but do not overbeat. Pour into the pan and bake for about an hour. Remove from the oven when a skewer inserted comes out clean.